AYA Reads Agrippa: Three Books of Occult Philosophy
Join AYA in an online reading group to discuss planetary magic as taught by Cornelius Agrippa, famed western occultist and author of Three Books of Occult Philosophy. Across three Saturdays we’ll look at several chapters in Three Books of Occult Philosophy that teach the fundamentals of planetary magic. These chapters will cover the basic requirements for completing a planetary ritual and beginning a personal relationship with each planetary spirit.
The reading group conversations will be free and open to the entire astrological community. Below you will find the dates for each reading group, the recommended translation, and the chapters we’re planning to discuss.
Reading Group Meeting Dates
Saturday, October 6th 1pm – 3pm EST
Saturday October 27th 1pm – 3pm EST
Saturday, November 10th 1pm – 3pm EST
Each chapter listed below links to a free translation for Young Astrologers that can’t afford to, or choose not to purchase a translation.
For those that are interested in purchasing the text, Brill offers a current critical edition of the book.
Initially, it appeared possible to order the text as a paperback for $25 as an e-Book from Brill. However, it has since emerged in correspondence directly with a sales rep at Brill that there is a mistake on the flyer promoting this book and that this book has not yet been digitized and uploaded to their e-book program. So alas, the book is not available at this discounted rate as we had first been led to believe.
First Reading Session – Saturday, October 6th 1pm – 3pm
The first reading will cover:
- Timing for planetary rituals
- Images associated with the planets
- On timing:
- On images:
Second Reading Session – Saturday October 27th 1pm – 3pm
The second reading will cover:
- Materials associated with each planet (example: copper for Venus)
- What each planet can be petitioned for (example: Sun for eminence, Mars for bravery)
- On materials and what a planet can be petitioned for:
- Book I – Chapter xxiii. How we shall know what Stars naturall things are under, and what things are under the Sun, which are called Solary.
- Book I – Chapter xxiv. What things are Lunary, or under the power of the Moon.
- Book I – Chapter xxv. What things are Saturnine, or under the power of Saturne.
- Book I – Chapter xxvi. What things are under the power of Jupiter, and are called Jovial.
- Book I – Chapter xxvii. What things are under the power of Mars, and are called Martial.
- Book I – Chapter xxviii. What things are under the power of Venus, and are called Venereall.
- Book I – Chapter xxix. What things are under the power of Mercury, and are called Mercuriall.
Third Reading Session – Saturday, November 10th 1pm – 3pm
The third reading will cover:
- Names of planetary spirits
- Numbers associated with planets
- Fumigations used for each planet
- Colors of the planets
- The power of mind over matter
- On numbers:
- On names of planetary spirits:
- Book II, Chap. XXII. Of the tables of the Planets, their vertues, forms, and what Divine names, Intelligencies, and Spirits are set over them.
- Book III – Chapter xxiv. Of the names of Spirits, and their various imposition; and of the Spirits that are set over the Stars, Signs, Corners of the Heaven, and the Elements.
- On incense, or fumes
- On colors of the planets
- On mind and intention in magical work