• July 24, 2014 at 8:09 am

Hello –

Here’s a question I’ve been wondering about lately, and would appreciate any input.

I have grown to really like Whole Sign Houses, but have used Placidus for years. Am wondering what the difference (if any) is when a transiting planet crosses into the 1st House in Whole Sign Houses, versus when that planet crosses the Ascendant wherever it resides in the 1st House. For example, when Saturn enters Sagittarius at the end of the year, it will cross into the 1st House for Sagittarius Rising folks, yet some will have the Ascendant at 1 degree, while others have it at 28 degrees. It enters the 1st House for all Sagittarius Risings, but crosses the Ascendant point at different times.

What is the difference between a transiting planet crossing into the 1st House, versus crossing the Ascendant degree?

Thanks for any input.

Shawn

• August 1, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Hi @shawn-nygaard.

In one sense, there is no difference- it’s the first house, and the transit will pertain to first house topics for the entirety of Saturn’s time there.

What will change, though, is the intensity of the transit.  The area in the first house which is above the horizon (12th house in a quadrant style system) is considered less sensitive than the area following the ascendant (1st house in a quadrant style system).

Of course, the transit, barring other factors, will be at its most intense when it crosses the angle of the Ascendant itself.

It’s important to note that the entire territory of a sign is not uniform.  Saturn is not the same at 2 degrees of Sag as it is at 28.  Watch Saturn’s quality change as it moves through different bounds and decans.  The 3rd decan is of especial consideration, as it is traditionally ruled by Saturn.

• August 6, 2014 at 7:03 pm

Thank you, @austin-coppock – that makes great sense.

A piece that clicked this evening is that Saturn transiting Whole Sign in the 1st House, between the entrance into the 1st House and the point of the Ascendant within the 1st House, is a different dynamic than Saturn transiting the 12th House into the 1st House (and thus crossing the Ascendant) in Placidus. (I hope I said that right.)

That might be the big piece I’d been trying to get at, and the decans piece can help distinguish things even further. Hey, perhaps you could recommend a decent book on the decans? Heh

Thanks again,

Shawn