• July 24, 2015 at 4:50 pm

I’m Alia, AYA’s membership director.  I live in Ann Arbor, Michigan, home to the Great Lakes Astrology Conference.  I dabbled a little as a very young person, but had become obsessed with astrology by my first Saturn opposition.  (I just discovered that this was around the time AYA was founded.) An entire Jupiter cycle later, here I am.  Up until about three months ago, my studies have been primarily Western and psychological in nature–I’m currently making a sincere effort to expand my horizons.  I refer to myself as a semi-professional astrologer, because astrology is currently my side-gig.

I love astrology for the ways it can be used to heal, to help people re-frame their past experiences and move forward into the future in an empowered way.  I think astrology is for everyone: people benefit from understanding how they can work within the cycles of their lives toward whatever it is they want to achieve while they’re here.  I want people to understand and experience their charts for themselves–I’m just a tour guide.

I also appreciate astrology for the way it pushes up against the limits of mainstream Western scientific and spiritual understanding and calls dominant paradigms into question. Don’t you love when you’re sitting next to a skeptic whose worldview you have just thrown into confusion, either because (a) you’ve used their chart to tell them something unmistakably true, or (b) they are being forced to reconcile their perception of you as an intelligent person with your “belief” in astrology?  (Maybe I’m the only one who finds both of these fun…. *Aquarius personal planets alert*)

• July 31, 2015 at 2:16 pm

“…they are being forced to reconcile their perception of you as an intelligent person with your “belief” in astrology”

A thousand times this! It feels good to challenge beliefs people are set in. I only have one planet in Aquarius though =P

I guess since I’m here, I’ll introduce myself! I’m Jo, I’ve been studying astrology seriously for just about a year now. I studied on and off for about 3 years before this, mostly finding books in second hand book stores and whatnot. Last year around this time, I found A-Z Horoscope Maker out of the corner of my eye in a bookstore, during a period where I hadn’t even been “into astrology” (I tend to go in waves with my interests and hobbies). I bought it and read the whole thing, and thought, “Holy crap, there’s so much I don’t know.” So I bought every book Rob Hand has written and started studying them all. Then I gifted myself with a consultation from him for my birthday, and to my surprise he casually said I could probably do astrology. Of course I was over the moon, and hit the books harder than ever. In December of last year, I decided to enroll at Kepler College, because I realized more and more strongly that this was no longer a hobby coming in waves, that I really want to pursue this as a career.

So here I am, about to finish the Fundamentals certificate at Kepler, and by the end of the next Winter Term (March 2016) I’ll have the Movement certificate done. I will hopefully always be a student of astrology learning more, but at this point I’m literally only a student. I don’t do consultations or anything yet, I’m just trying to build up my knowledge base so I feel I actually have something of worth to offer clients.

• August 1, 2015 at 3:09 pm

Wow! That is a dynamite entry into astrology. Can’t really ask for a better initiatory figure to get you involved!

• September 2, 2015 at 2:36 pm

Hello!
    I started my love affair with astrology when I was about 15. I was raised by a paranoid religious fanatic stepmother that thought anything to do with astrology was of the devil, but right when she left the picture when I was about 14, I started hanging out in the occcult section of the library a whole lot, to say the least! This was during my saturn opposition saturn and Jupiter would have been just going into my 9th house, trining my natal Jupiter on the cusp of my 5th house, trining my ascendant and trining my natal mercury conjunct my ascendant.
    The next 12 years, I mostly just studied my own psychological astrology and didn’t really even get into much more than sun signs, but went deeply into the sun signs.
    Astrology was therapeutic and grounding  to me. It gave me a more complete and whole sense of self and inspired a worldview for me that was more magical than it had been without astrology.
    Fast forward to fall of 2013. I had just graduated with my BA in Psychology and had recently been introduced to a good friend of mine’s mother, Diane Clarke. Diane was a retired astrologer that ran a successful practice for 40 years. She introduced me to Carl Payne Tobey, notable 20th century astrologer and mathematician. She was a student of his and he introduced her to some non-traditional techniques like his Leo on the first house, clockwise house rulership system. She in turn introduced me to these techniques and after years of trying to step deeper into astrology by learning about the houses and aspects, and it never quite “clicking”, this system clicked immediately and jumpstarted a period of time that I am still in where my astrological knowledge has absolutely blown up and expanded immensely. I started taking classes with her January of 2014, almost exactly one jupiter cycle after I first picked up an astrology book. My progressed sun was also conjunct my natal Uranus, notably. Since then, I have been obsessed with astrology and hardly go a day without looking at a chart or reading something astrological.
    I hope to go back to school for my MA in some sort of integrative counseling psychology as early as next fall, but until then have been making baby steps towards starting my astrological consulting business. With Jupiter transiting my 10th house and my natal Urania (astrologer’s asteroid which is conjunct my 10th house cusp, square my ascendant), this year brought me the purchase of my first business cards and astrology website and blog. It has been slow-going due to the responsibilities of my”day job” (im a balloon twister) and being a mother (I have a 9 year old cancer daughter and a 4 year old capricorn sun), but I started the year with the goal to give at least one paid reading by the end of the year and I’ve given two.
    PHEW! Please for give my long-windedness. I blame natal mercury conjunct my ascendant and my progressed moon just going into 0’Gemini!
    Happy to be here and growing with you all and look forward to the relationships we may build!

• February 8, 2016 at 11:02 am

Hello, everybody!

My name is Alex and I’m a newbie here as well as relatively a newbie to astrology in general.

I’m originally from Russia and moved to States almost 6 years ago. It’s very interesting how astrology there is something ,almost, unheard of; it most definitely has a very bad and scary reputation as something associated with Satin and Devil, hehe. That’s so sad and at the same time funny, how general ignorance on that topic makes people think that way.

Anyway, I feel like I have a tremendous interest in astrology, it’s such a powerful tool to use to bring light, knowledge and awareness into other peoples’ lives and make them live up to their potentials or help with their questions.

As I started my submerging into astrology since last year I’m being very open to new ideas, theories and poins of view trying to assimilate and use it best way it serves me as long as it has a real explanation and considers traditional astrology.

I believe, before I find my own way of proceeding with it I should staft with the original or traditional points of view and then examining the developments and coming up with my own ways to adopt the knowledge the most appropriate way possible.

I would really appreaciate anyone’s friendships and company on the quest to become a real astrologer, knowing it takes a lot of years and dedication. Being ammature in astrology is okay but not staying that way, for sure!

I have so many ideas and plans and areas I’d like to research and prove and I’m happy to be on my way there, bringing my passion and talent into life!

Thank you for reading and peace out, my fellow friends!

• February 8, 2016 at 7:42 pm

Welcome, Alex! IMHO, I think you are basically on the right track. Whatever style of astrology you choose, you should work with it for a while and get comfortable with one system before branching out. That being said, in the lovely age that we live in where information is widely dispersed, you can browse through so many different types of astrology to see which one suits you!

• February 9, 2016 at 6:09 am

Thank you @nick-civitello for your kind advise and your welcoming!

This is definitely true, that choosing the one direction that suits my needs is the best way to go not to loose oneself in the overall abundance of material and astrological knowledge!

But I want to say that the story of @Jo-Gleason is really inspiring! I’m a fan of Robern Hand as well and I can imagine how cool was that to meet the astrological milestone of our generation! And then every astrologer’s dream – Kepler college!

I’m very happy for you, pawl! Good luck and thanks for inspiring story!

• February 23, 2016 at 8:22 pm

Hi guys!!!

I am Deivid, an open minded and easygoing young astrologer and psychologist from Brazil. An authentic Taurean, with ascendant and moon in Leo! I was completely skeptical about Astrology until I “accidentally” bought an Astrology guide in 2009 and read the Taurus section. I got so impressed with such precision that I never stopped studying this amazing science! I graduated in Psychology in 2012 and since then I came gradually incorporating Astrology into my therapy work. Nowadays I cannot imagine how to understand and help a client to overcome life challenges without analyzing his astrological configuration and having his natal chart as a working guide. I am also a member of the International Society for Astrological Research (ISAR) and have recently started the process to get my Certificate of Astrological Proficiency (CAP) and become an ISAR Certified Astrologer.

Part of my studies was done in the Netherlands, and I really love that country. With my natal Sun, Jupiter and Mercury in the 9th house, and also having my 4th and 5th houses in Sagittarius, my chart talks a lot about studying, living and settling abroad. Although I really love my beloved homeland Brazil, moving abroad was always the deepest desire of my heart. So I am looking for a way to move either to the Netherlands, Germany or to the United States.

I call myself a spiritual seeker. I am a member of the Ancient Mystical Order Rosae Crucis (The Rosicrucian Order, AMORC) and also a student and practitioner of Kabbalah. Astrology for me is the handbook of our personal existence.

I got really excited when I found about AYA and the possibility to connect with such amazing people! I am looking forward to make some new zodiacal friends! I love to learn and to share, feel free to get in touch!

“Where you can not love, do not delay”. Frida Kahlo

• February 24, 2016 at 9:55 am

Hi Deivid!

Welcome to our team!

As much as I can tell, you had quite a journey so far! And it always inspires me to hear stories like yours, how people get into astrology and and how they  successfully incorporate that knowledge in their every day life!

It is also very noble of you to be on the path of helping other people with the issues they are addressing to you with; and using natal charts for that reason also makes great sense!
    I hope you enjoy your time being here, a part of our young astrologers’ community!

• February 24, 2016 at 6:49 pm

Hi everyone!

My name is Julie. I have always had an interest in Astrology growing up. Throughout my life I found myself always being drawn to the topic. But as we all know things come up and we slowly start to stray from those things we enjoy. We fall into that same old rut “I am too busy” “I need to study for school” …the list can go on. Even with the excuses somehow I would always come back to it…almost as if life set little bread crumbs for me to follow. Now, I am here and I’m excited to keep learning about a topic I love. Astrology to me is my escape from the mundane, a way to connect with others, and of course a blue print of possibilities not yet discovered…

• February 25, 2016 at 4:35 am

Hi @Julie-Diago!

I’m happy to welcome you here as a an AYA participant and a friend!

I’m glad that you made some time and joined us and making time now for your passion! This is something that bindes us all here!
    There are plenty of resources and support available here for you to proceed with doing something you really like!

Have fun and good luck exploring!

• February 25, 2016 at 4:44 am

Hi @alex-zolotov !!

Thanks a lot for your warm welcome! It is very nice to meet kind people like you!

Yeah, working with astrological psychology has been a great honor and I really enjoy having a profession which aim to help people to succeed in life!

I read you own introduction post and it is also very motivating to see new people getting so interested and devoted to this lovely wisdom. I totally agree with you that Astrology is a very “powerful tool to bring light, knowledge and awareness into people’s lives”!

It is awesome we are are here! Greetings from Brazil!

• April 4, 2016 at 7:28 pm

Hi everyone!

I’m Cassidy from Chicagoland. In my day job I’m a librarian. Here’s the intro from my profile:

Libra Sun, Cancer Ascendant, Progressed Scorpio, Moon Chart Ruler, Jupiter Final Dispositor.

Have been soaking up all the podcasts, books, websites, audio recordings, and classes I can find since discovering the inner workings of astrology in December 2015. I can’t believe how into it I am! Currently use whole sign houses and have been inspired by traditional astrology, although I do use some modern techniques as well.

Also interested in pagan/Spiritualist matters: meditation, chakras, mediumship, tarot, ancient runes, geomancy, intuition, etc.

Journal writer. Fiction writer. Love Harry Potter and geek/nerd culture in general. Have a side business as a party princess – am “Elsa” from Frozen for events in the Chicagoland area – and do a variety of cosplays at conventions.

Would love to meet more astrologers, especially in the Chicago area but online too!

• April 5, 2016 at 8:12 am

Hi Cassidy-Juniper!
    Nice to meet you and Welcome to, so to say, our AYA Family!
    Great Intro! That’s interesting to see how your astro interest developed! I can definitely relate to your way of learning. I do the same thing, constantly listening to podcasts and lectures, submerging myself completely in the astro field!
    I think that’s the best way to lear it, when you live it!

There are a lot of lectures here available, also, would you share with us what podcasts do you listen to, we have a separate forum topic for that, so it would be interesting for everyome to know what was available out there and what you personally thought was interesting and helpful!

Once again, welcome and have fun exploring!

• June 20, 2016 at 4:50 am

Hello, my name is Tobias. Although born in Europe, I have already spent almost half of my life in Asia. I am very new to astrology. I came to astrology after getting bored and cheated by the multiplicity of science and religion. Besides astrology I am considering philosophy a hot topic. My horoscope told me I would like computer programs (indeed my current profession), but actually I may also be suitable as counselor. Although I have no practice in that discipline, there might be a long journey to these unknown realms in the future. Looking forward to have a lot of conversations and discussions with you.