• September 8, 2013 at 11:24 am

Say “hi” and tell us a little bit about yourself. What got you into astrology- and what keeps you into it? What types of astrology have you studied?

• May 7, 2014 at 7:14 pm

Hello, I’m Melody… student of astrology and of life.  I look forward to meeting everyone, and to learning and sharing in the forums.  I discovered astrology one hot summer on the beach a couple decades ago…. within a book one of my troublemaker friends stole from the library.  I said something about this being why libraries couldn’t have nice occult things and then flipped to the Libra section.  My Merc/PL conj thought perhaps astrology held answers that conventional psychology did not… and I began my personal study.  I continue to learn because my Merc/PL was right.  🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Profile photo of Melody Bee Melody Bee. Reason: edited because I didn't fully answer the question ;)
  • May 10, 2014 at 6:18 pm

Hi Melody!

Nice to digitally “meet you”

Eric

• May 11, 2014 at 10:09 am

Thank you, Eric!  Digital ditto 😀  You’re not a librarian, I hope…..  😉 😀

• May 13, 2014 at 3:02 am

Hi all! I’m Nick Civitello, AYA’s current VP. I started studying astrology in 2006 while having a Jupiter return. I found astrology through martial arts, and I’ve found some interesting similarities both in their practice and their communities. I’m also a theatre kid for life and a writer…one of the things that hooked me about astrology was the new lens and depth it gave to working with characters, layering behavioral traits over primal archetypes, seeing a sensible system for their interactions through aspect doctrine. It wasn’t long before I was making fictional birth charts as a basis for character creation.

I’m not a professional consulting astrologer, but I’m at least a journeyman and a half! I mainly use Hellenistic astrology, and tend to veer towards the traditional side of things in my studies. But I’m open to anything that works. I find every school of thought in astrology has something valuable and fascinating to offer.

• May 13, 2014 at 6:16 pm

I ponder (simplistic) charts for characters that other people have already created, but fictional birth charts as you create your characters….  perfect.  I love it!  😀   Complex characters with complex interactions… the stuff of life.

• May 15, 2014 at 10:02 am

Oh yeah, I do that with other fictional characters, too! I especially love it if the author has provided a DOB for the character, because then you can punch it up and see if it makes sense given what’s written. I’ve actually run across some that are perfect in that regard. For example, there’s a comic called Strangers in Paradise whose protagonist is wayyyy Scorpio…her birth chart bears that out. Others make less sense (I have heard that Sherlock Holmes is a Capricorn Sun, which I don’t really see, but I have also not examined the rest of the chart.)

I think storytelling is an area that could be enriched a lot further with astrology plugged in. Every good plot starts with a hard aspect, after all. 🙂

• August 27, 2014 at 3:40 am

Kia ora whanau, I am Tania. I live in New Zealand and have been practising Astrology for 18 years…or so.  I started in 1996 with an evening class to get me out of the house and to meet interesting people, and it kind of took over my life. I am somewhat of a neo classicist. I anchor my readings in things Hellenistic and then surf the cosmos from there.

I am currently immersed in the study of  Māori language and culture; a return to my roots with a nod to my Jupiter return in Cancer.  So Māori cosmology is of course an area of profound interest and something I am likely to be posting about so…watch this space!

No reira

Tēnā koutou, tēnā koutou, tēnā koutou katoa. (sincere greetings to all)

• August 27, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Hey there, Tania! Welcome 🙂

• October 2, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Hello Everyone. I’m Frank, 41, and I live in London, England. I first applied to join the AYA over a decade ago (when I was a young astrologer!). I’ve spent 25 years in astrology (and palmistry) learning, researching, writing, teaching, lecturing and publishing. It’s been a true labo(u)r of love, and I have many more things I want to do in (and for) our community.

• October 7, 2014 at 12:00 pm

Congrats on your recent award! Thanks for ALL you do! And at this point, young astrologers could very well be considered those of us pre-Chiron return simply because of the HUGE population on the other side of it. Leave ‘old’ for later, and grab on ‘veteran’ as you’ve more than earned it Mr. Quarter Century.

• October 8, 2014 at 4:04 am

Ooh, what award did you win, Frank? Really enjoyed your lecture on the Midheaven, by the way. 🙂

• October 8, 2014 at 10:22 am

Thanks for the advice, D! I’ll keep that and run with it.

Nick. thanks for the welcome too, and glad you enjoyed the Midheaven lecture. It was fun and a full house (110+ I gather), which was a wonderful surprise. The award was back in 2012 – a lifetime achievement award called the Charles Harvey Award. In the acceptance speech, I told them I didn’t think I deserved it for at least another ten years (until I’d done all the things I wanted to do in astrology) but asked if I could keep it in the interim!

Best wishes to you both,

Frank

• July 18, 2015 at 2:35 pm

Hello! My name is Robbie and Astrology came rushing into my life this March! Since then, I have been voraciously reading everything I can get my hands on. I have recently taken Steven Forrest’s Intro to Evolutionary Astrology course and am an now an active member in Kansas City’s Aquarian Organization of Astrologers. I teach mind/body movement classes like Yoga and Nia, and am a Health Coach. Although I am familiar with Indian culture and mythology from my yoga training, I work with Western Tropical Astrology. I have always been interested in things greater than the mundane world with my Mercury(Pisces)/Sun(Aquarius conjunction. I have been practicing Tarot on and off and begun to take up serious study with this tool as well. Looking forward to learning and sharing on these forums!

Robbie

• July 20, 2015 at 9:42 am

Welcome, Robbie!

Your post makes me wonder – should we have a forum specifically for Tarot? I know a lot of us throw cards, and it’d be an easy spillover into talking on the decans.

Also, maybe a folder for body work and astrology? Although maybe that doesn’t need a whole forum, could just be topic. Any thoughts on this, opinions?