• February 15, 2016 at 6:03 pm

Who’s planning on attending a conference, retreat, or other sort of astrology gathering this year? There’s no shortage, between NORWAC in May, the Great Lakes Astrology Conference in April, ISAR’s symposium in October, and SOTA in November. The Queer Astrology Roadshow is also coming to select cities in March.

For my part, I’m waiting to see how my money and free time shake out, but I want to try to hit up QAC when it comes to NYC, and I’d love to finally attend SOTA. It’s pretty nearby, but I always seem to have something going on when it comes around.

Anybody else? This would be a good place to compare notes and connect, maybe find a roommate to split the costs for a con.

• February 15, 2016 at 7:03 pm

Thank you for presenting the list of the conferences for this year! I most definitely would like to attend some of the available options. The closest place to Boston (where I live now) would be NYC so I would want to participate in QAC Roadshow as I visited their web site to check out their previous years and I really liked the attitude and the topics they were discussing. Plus, as @nick-civitello mentioned it will be in March ( I should double check the dates) – that would be a perfect Birthday gift to myself.

I would love to team up to attend any of the events, the distance of travel,though, is a major factor for me right now.

Otherwise, I’m all enthusiasticly in!

• February 18, 2016 at 4:13 am

Hi!   I went to NORWAC last year and it was really fun. It’s a cool experience to hang out with so many astrologers. I am working until July so this year I’m going to SOTA in November.  Maybe see some of you there!

• February 18, 2016 at 7:27 am

Hi Elodie!
    That’s grea that you went to that conference, I only got to see what that was about throught their conference report and articles!
    I most definitely want to make it to SOTA this fall as it’s close by and that’s a great chance to meet all those ispiring Astrologers!
    The more members we get to go there the more fun it will be!
    As we get closer to the conference date we should try to team up, that way we stay together throughout the conference!

• February 18, 2016 at 3:53 pm

If anyone wants to come visit me during GLAC (the Great Lakes Astrology Conference) in the lovely Ann Arbor, Michigan, let me know!  I’ll be there, and ready to eat yummy things and geek out about astrology.  Happy to show folks around!

We also have negotiated a room share, so please let me know if you’re interested.

• February 19, 2016 at 1:05 am

Hey Y’all

The mutability of it all’s got me activating for loads of travel. I’m in Santa Monica 19 March then SF the 20th.  The following week (Easter) am coming to New York. Am still unraveling a few details on exact venus/times. I know for sure a pilgrimage to the Walt Whitman Library is scheduled for Saturday the 27th. I believe I’ll be in Lutin’s office/library … ?Sunday or Monday.

Then I’ll speaking at Norwac, and roadshowing for all of May through the Pacific Northwest. Would love to connect to peeps anywhere from Oregon to coastal BC who’d like to meet and gather with other local astros.

And, west coasting it again, I’ll be at ISAR (my family’s in LA). Would love to get to SOTA in November, the qa site keeps getting pinged from Toronto … but it feels like a lot tonight. We live on a big planet.

Check the calendar and click around to learn more roadshow. (I posted photos from January today on the pdx/sea/yvr pages. I think they’re awesome.
    Ian

• February 19, 2016 at 7:55 am

Hi, my well respected folks!

@Alia-Vesala, I wish I could visit GLAC and stop by to say hi to you.. If I only lived closer, not half way  actoss the Country!

It’s much easier to see you, busy bee @ian-waisler.

I will do my best to visit QA in NYC this Spring and say hi in person!

And If you decide to go to SOTA, keep me in mind for a (responsible) travel companion, hehe

Be safe on a road and stay warm!

• February 23, 2016 at 8:04 am

Hey guys!

I just registered for NORWAC, and i’ve never been to seattle nor the conference so i’m super stoked. it’ll be my first time traveling solo far from NYC, but i don’t think there’ll be a shortage of cool astrologers to meet and connect with. Would love to know if anyone is planning to be out there so we could meet up!

Mackenzie

• March 4, 2016 at 6:43 pm

@mackenzie-greer

You live in NYC but we have never met? We should fix that! We do this informal astrologer cocktail hour get-together thing every once in a while, and we have another coming up on Tuesday for the eclipse. If you want, find me on FB and I’ll add you to the event.

• March 8, 2016 at 9:10 am

That’s so awesome that you have the ability to gather together like that!
    I wish we had something like this in Boston area!

I should definitely start the MEETUP.COM group up here!
    I really want to, but not sure if I’m astrologically “grown up” enough to set it up and keep it going.

Happy Solar Eclipse and New Moon, everyone!

• March 12, 2016 at 6:06 pm

For those who are short on cash or just service-inclined, ISAR is inviting AYA members to be room monitors at the 2016 Symposium in October in Costa Mesa, CA, for which you will receive FREE registration to the conference and some other benefits.  The specifics are outlined in an email below, directed to prospective volunteers:

Greetings prospective Room Monitor Team!

This is my initial email to our group outlining the requirements for being a room monitor volunteer at ISAR 2016. The schedule is easier and more humane than before so take a good look a the requirements and if you are still interested please make sure to use the link below to register your deposit.
    https://app.etapestry.com/cart/InternationalSocietyforAstr/default/category.php?ref=1135.0.170590247

I won’t be putting you on my list of monitors until you have paid your refundable deposit guaranteeing that you will be appearing at the conference. We’ve instituted this procedure due to the number of volunteers who signed up in the past and then dropped out just before the conference causing a large amount of chaos and last minute juggling. I have done this job before and really love working with the amazing group of volunteers who do show up so I want to make our process as fun, friendly, and practical as possible.

There are fewer sessions this time, only three a day, so we’ll need fewer monitors than before. I’ll be assigning monitors on a first-registered-first served basis so I really encourage you to commit now since we will sure end up with more people wanting to be part of the team than we have space for. Right now the schedule says we have five tracks going on at any time, but we added an Indian astrology track so that would bring us up to three sessions a day in six rooms.

Monitors will work need to work all the sessions to hit their 16 volunteer hours during the conference, because we only have three sessions each day rather than four or five we usually have. It’s a shorter work day, so more humane in general. You’ll be done around 4pm each day.
    Below is what I think the schedule would be each day, though we know it runs longer than this because of demands on the monitors.
    Shifts for Friday and Saturday, if they are showing up 20 minutes early:
    9:10 – 10:45am
    11:00am – 12:30pm
    LUNCH 12:30 – 2:10pm
    2:10 – 3:45pm
    Sunday’s schedule starts a little later
    9:40 – 11:15am
    11:30am – 1pm
    LUNCH 1 – 2:40pm
    2:40 – 4:15pm
    You MUST be available for all shifts, so no oopsie-I-have-to-leave-at-noon-on-Sunday option exists. The attached document has all the pre- and post-workshop options. We need a monitor per workshop, so five for Thursday and five for Monday.
    Duties:
    • 16-hours of volunteer service.
    • Assist the speaker as necessary. 
    • Contact AV if there’s a technical difficulty. 
    • Prompt speaker as to time, to repeat information for the tape, etc. 
    • Making sure there’s water in the room, room is clean, chairs in place, and so on. 
    • Counting the people at the lecture (critical, as we are paying speakers per head). 
    • Filling out monitor evaluation form as to quality of speaker/material/attendee engagement.
    • Ensuring the speaker signs off, directly after the lecture, on the head count sheet (two sheets, one for their record & one for mine).
    • Collecting vendor lecture tickets. 
    • Finding me if there is any dispute on the count with a speaker.
    • Notifying me if we have an overflow situation in a lecture room. 
    • Other various troubleshooting that arises.
    Benefits:
    • Free entrance into conference.
    • MP3s of all the lectures within a month after the conference, barring a technical snafu.
    • First-come, first-serve choice of lectures and workshops to record.
    Once you have registered with your deposit please email me with your top 12 speaker list of speakers you would prefer to see live and record. Put this list in order of priority and I will do my very best to get you in as monitor to the speakers you most want to see. We did this pretty well last time even with the last minute changes we had to make each day and we all had a pretty amazing experience at the conference. Let’s do it again even better!

Please feel free to contact me with any questions you may have, email is best as my daily schedule is always pretty booked until late in the evening Pacific time. You can call or text my cell 928.554.5109 if you need to talk but it’s likely that you’ll be leaving a voicemail and I’ll be getting back to you as I am able to. I’m here to support you and make this the most awesome conference possible.  Service Rocks!

Blessings and Love,

Hal Bahr, C.A.P.
  • March 12, 2016 at 6:11 pm

UGH.  Sorry for the funky formatting above.  Also, there was an attachment on the ISAR volunteer email above.  Please let us know if you are interested in volunteering and we can direct the schedule to you.  Email youngastrologers@gmail.com.  Thanks!

• March 14, 2016 at 5:45 pm

That’s such an amazing opportunity!
    I already signed up for the volunteering at the conference!

If anyone else is gonna join in, please let us know so we could arrange things!
    That’s going to be such wonderful experience!
    I hope to meet you all there, whether attending, volunteering or speaking!

• April 21, 2016 at 10:36 pm

I’m going to be at SOTA this year! It will be my first conference, so I’m excited.

For those who have attended conferences before, how early do you get there and how late do you leave, if you’re from out of state? I don’t think I’m doing any pre or post conference workshops, so I’m not sure if I should leave early Monday or if I would regret not having more time to hang out with people.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Profile photo of Jo Gleason Jo Gleason.
  • April 23, 2016 at 7:57 am

Hi @jo-gleason!

I’m planning to go to SOTA too!
    My local teacher (she’s the president of NCGR Boston chapter,- Joyce Levine) is gonna be giving a talk there and she gave me some info about the conference. As this one is pretty small there won’t be as many people visiting, I mean shes said – like 100 ppl or so, depending on what “famous” astrologers they are gonna bring in. As for the time, when we get closer to the conference date they are gonna release the schedule of the workshops. You can, then, see if you are interested in any pre/postconference workshops. “Pre-” ones tend to be busier the the “post-” ones. I, personally,  would plan on staying longer just so I could get more time interacting with others and getting more of what’s available, while I’m out there. Everyone says – it’s a great new level of learning when you experience the astrological gathering!