• May 19, 2014 at 4:17 am

So, I’m wanting to make an exit from the grind and to start doing consultations professionally. But I’ve tried to get something going part-time once or twice in the past with no real success, still just doing chart work for friends who buy me a beer or a fancy coffee. I guess I’m just not sure how to get it going…I discovered that flyering the neighborhood is woefully ineffective, and word of mouth seems to just attract more folks looking for freebies. It seems like the only way to get a presence is through teaching or from free online content. Any advice?

• May 19, 2014 at 7:36 pm

Well, @nick-civitello, as you know, I built my entire practice on the back of free online content.   I wrote a free weekly column for about 8 years.

I think that a column provides a show case for your understanding and style.   People can interact with the material and react to you.   Some people are going to vibe with the way you see things, and some aren’t.  In addition to astrology being a craft which one can be proficient (or not) at, a big part of your relationship with clients is the angle which you see things from.  Some people will be healed by perspective, some bemused, and others annoyed.  But it’s your perspective, and when you put it out there, people get a chance to encounter it.  Some of those people will want to hear more about what you see, and those are your clients.

Although “find and get comfortable with your voice” is generally advice given to writers, I think its equally applicable for astrologers.  Find yourself as an astrologer, and you’ll find your clients.

Or, on a less heartfelt, but perhaps  more actionable level:

-Get a website

-List your services and prices.

-Start writing a weekly motherfucking column.

• May 20, 2014 at 9:17 pm

Thanks for sharing ALL of that Austin!

• May 30, 2014 at 1:11 pm

Thanks as always for the advice, @austin-coppock. (@Eric-Pride responded too, but his comment seems to have vanished? But thank you, too, Eric.) I guess you’re right, I feel like I haven’t exactly found that voice as an astrologer yet, and the only way to do that is to speak.

Well, lastly: has anyone here ever faced legal harassment re: listing pricing and services online? Do I just slap a “for entertainment purposes only” on there and stop worrying about it?

• October 9, 2014 at 3:17 am

I could not agree more with Austin. I have recently been writing for a large audience and found my astrological voice. It has attached clients to me. I also believe 100% in creating some additional free content for people to see how you approach the craft. Build an audience and find your space in the astro web.

It is like growing a plant, it needs nurturing and attention. Everyday making your voice a little more louder and creating that audience.  The business will naturally take off.
    Good luck to you.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 1 month ago by Profile photo of Simon Vorster Simon Vorster.
  • October 21, 2014 at 2:28 am

Much appreciated, Simon!

• July 10, 2015 at 12:28 pm

I wanted to chime in, because my approach has been a little different than those already suggested, and may be helpful to those of us who are not as keen on regularly writing about astrology.

I think it’s really important for folks to consider their unique context, and how they can best use their existing networks to jump-start and expand their business.  Some of us may need to reach far outside of our own community for clients, but plenty of us have local networks we can work within successfully.

I, for example, have developed connections with local astrology-friendly businesses and organizations, and regularly work events that expose me to people in the community.  Working these events, where I do back-to-back brief natal chart interpretations, is one of the best things I’ve done for my astrology practice because it has challenged me to integrate chart information very quickly, and has given me ample opportunities to practice engaging different people.

I’m also lucky to work in a setting with a number of mental and behavioral health clinicians, many of whom I’ve found to be at least curious about astrology and how it can be applied to their work.  Of course, it’s difficult to build a client base if you are timid about talking about astrology with random strangers.  It took me a while to become comfortable “coming out” as an astrologer–this is something we have to practice doing, to echo what @austin-coppock said about finding one’s voice.  Eventually, I realized I had developed a few variations of an “elevator speech.”  I have two main versions–one for people excited about astrology, and one for skeptics.  I always make sure to compliment the skeptics on how intelligent it can be to be skeptical. 😉

In addition to having a website, make sure you have some striking/interesting/unusual or otherwise memorable business cards.  With the exception of (maybe) the beach, I carry mine with me absolutely everywhere I go.  I have also given some to a few supportive friends and relatives to pass along to interested people in their networks.  It has been so helpful to have folks who know me well giving testimonials and promoting my work.

• July 11, 2015 at 7:39 am

That’s good Earth sense, @alia-wesala! Thanks. I admit, both my elevator speech and my ability to network could both use some polishing.