• July 31, 2015 at 2:50 pm

I’m a noob here, so I’m sure this discussion is old and worn out to most of you, but I’ll start it anyway.

Those who have a certification, why did you get it? What was your motivation? Are you happy you did?

Those who didn’t get certified through an organization, why didn’t you? Did anything specific make you NOT want to get certified? Are you happy you didn’t?

Do you think it’s worth it to go for a certification through an organization?

How do you feel about the idea of certification through organizations in general? Is it a good idea? Is moving towards standardization a good idea?

I’m grappling with these thoughts right now, and wondered what you all thought.

• August 3, 2015 at 1:24 pm

It’s something I would like to do someday. I have a couple of organizations scoped out that I would like to be certified through. That said, I don’t think it’s particularly important for every astrologer do do this, and I know plenty that get clients and acclaim without the benefit of certification. Keep in mind that again, I haven’t gone through the process, but from the outside, I look at it in a similar way to theatre education. I received a BA in Theatre, but I know plenty of good actors and theatre artists that haven’t. Similarly, when we were all scoping out grad school in our senior year, we were advised by our teachers that while it could be great for enrichment of one’s craft (and maybe for contacts,) you’d also still be starting on square one when finished.

I think it’s also important to understand the distinctions between what each organization offers through their training. For example, ISAR’s program seems to focus on ethics and relationship with the client. There are also specialty certifications/courses if you’re studying a specific branch. Chris Brennan’s Hellenistic course offers a certificate of completion.

Would love to hear perspectives from some folks who have attained certification(s.)

• November 6, 2016 at 10:04 pm

Although my Virgo sun and Cap rising are thrilled with the idea of credentials, I have to say that I’m not really too concerned about getting certified from a practical standpoint.  If I did it, it would likely be something I did after I became successful enough that cost was not an issue OR if said certification wasn’t expensive by my standards.  However, again, it would mostly be just to satisfy my own tendencies.

What I am more concerned about really is just to expand my knowledge and understanding and improve my skills to such a point that I feel I’m adequately skilled when I approach a chart for interpretation.  I have an incessant thirst for knowledge that is never really quite satisfied.  So I suspect that as long as I am involved in astrology that I will go on endlessly buying books by astrologers to add to my knowledge and taking what webinars and courses I can to improve my ability to see the potentials of a chart.

For right now, I am quite at a novice stage but I’m very active on several Facebook astrology groups (great learning experience for me actually!) and am reading several astrology books at the same time as well as recently taking some webinars by astrologers.  I know that I’m already improving by leaps and bounds because I’m starting to see things more easily when I look at a chart.  Once I feel more confident of my skills, then I’ll most likely just begin to offer my services for a fee.  I don’t think I’ll be waiting on any certification to do that, but I could see doing it someday maybe just for my own satisfaction.

• November 6, 2016 at 10:15 pm

Why can I not delete this duplicate message? 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Profile photo of Luanne Wilson Luanne Wilson. Reason: won't let me delete a duplicate message