• September 8, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Say “hi” and tell us a little bit about yourself and your interest in astrological magic. Which books and traditions have you investigated, and what do you currently find the most compelling?

• September 8, 2013 at 2:11 pm

Hi ya’ll.

My first exposure to the astrological magic tradition was accidental. I’d run through all of the decent astrology books I could find from the local used book store, and started snooping through the occult section. I happened on Crowley’s “777,” paged through it and found that it was replete with astrological symbolism. A few years later, I picked up Denning and Phillips’ “Planetary Magick,” complete with the 70’s-tastic cover and artwork. I performed a few of the operations described and was intrigued, but not blown away. Fast forward a few more years to when I got the Ouroboros Press translation of the “Picatrix.” I read through it in a few days and then started planning talismanic experiments immediately. That was about 6 years ago. Since then I’ve pulled off a number of successful operations, a few miracles and a couple miserable failures.

The overlap between astrology and magic is an ancient one, stretching back to our earliest records of each. I think its a pity that its currently tucked into such a dark, neglected corner of the astrological world.

Also, I’ll be one of the moderators for the Astrological Magic forum, so be nice to me- or else.

• May 8, 2014 at 9:07 am

Hello there!

My life has been steeped in some kind of astrological magic for 25 years. Most of that time was admittedly pretty basic.

Everything changed in 2005 when I started studying Agrippa and then discovered traditional astrology from there. I made my first talismans according to Picatrix shortly thereafter.

Since then I have concentrated on translation work and deep study in both the technical and philosophical areas of traditional astrology. My first translation project was a translation of the Latin Picatrix, which was abandoned when I discovered that Chris Warnock and John Michael Greer had a version that was pretty far along.

For the last four years or so, I’ve been working on a new translation of “Three Books of Occult Philosophy” by Henry Cornelius Agrippa. I am in the final revision stages and it should be complete near the end of 2013/beginning of 2014.

My goal is to help make traditional astrological magic become more known and hopefully more accessible.

• May 9, 2014 at 12:34 am

I found magic through astrology, and while I haven’t given as much time to the former, I have dabbled enough to know that I would like to someday. Most of the successes I’ve had have been instances where planetary energy was evoked or banished. The bulk of what I know was taught directly, but I have read up a little bit on Donald Michael Kraig, and I’m a big fan of Patrick Dunn, who sometimes uses planetary magic.  I’m a beginner and still have a lot to learn, but I think this is one of the most exciting aspects of astrological practice.

• June 2, 2014 at 10:47 am

I’ve always known of astrological magic and its uses but never really focused on learning more.  I’m hoping to increase my knowledge of it in the future.

• January 27, 2015 at 7:10 pm

Hi!

I have always been interested in magic and have guided myself through the years with the omens  that nature-dreams-life provides. I started studying astrology last year and realised this is what I was preparing for all along. At this point I want to refine my skills and have some techniques along with my instinct to back me up.

• May 31, 2016 at 4:27 pm

Hi everyone,
    The tradition of magic first appeared in my life as a kid. Before I was born and during the first few years of my life, my mom became involved with Santeria as my godmother practiced it. However, I really don’t know how in depth my mom went into this tradition.
    Around the age of 8 years old, my mom was again studying and practicing magic. She also had an astrology book which happened to be my first intro to the subject as well. She began teaching me about and raising me in the tradition of Wicca. Consequently, it was my mom who first introduced me to meditation and a focused devotion towards Nature. Though I didn’t participate in making herbal formulas like she did, it become custom to do rituals with her friend. I now reflect on how perfect it was for us to perform many of these rituals [the memories are vague, however] as her friend was much older and the three of us made up maiden, mother, and crone.
    It wasn’t until I had already been practicing astrology that I learned of magic’s association to astrology. I suppose I never realized how intimate the connection between astrology and magic really is has to do with the fact that my mom didn’t study astrology in depth. In the last year, the subject of magic has continued to pop up and make itself noticed to me through new friendships and through professionals who have captured my interest in astrology. For this reason I’ve come back ’round to the study of the Craft and am enjoying reconnecting to my roots.

I’m currently reading Jayne Gibson and Ben Dykes’s Astrological Magic: Basic Rituals and Meditations and have a few other books in my queue (such as the Picatrix and Three Books of Occult Philosophy) and courses on my wish list.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Profile photo of Ashley Otero Ashley Otero. Reason: grammar