• September 2, 2015 at 6:32 pm

What type of role do you/could you see yourself playing in the astrology community?

What type of rewards do you hope to see from your study of astrology? Which have you seen manifest already?

• September 12, 2015 at 1:30 pm

Ooooo!  I love this topic!  I’ve been mulling this over a lot recently, especially since becoming more involved in AYA and having more contact with full-time professional astrologers.  I’ve come to the interesting yet slightly unsettling realization that the role I seem to be playing so far and what I bring to the astrology community has very little to do with my astrological knowledge/background and more to do with other skills or my personality.  I am very much “the administrator” in most aspects of my life–and my involvement in AYA has followed this trend so far.  Let’s get things organized and make them work!

As a practicing astrologer, I am someone who seems to predominantly introduce people to astrology. I don’t currently have a body of writing or recorded lectures that illustrate my expertise to potential astrology-savvy clients.  I’m not an astrologer one finds through informed research.  My clients generally stumble across me when they weren’t looking for an astrologer.  I put myself in a lot of very mainstream settings and talk to people about astrology, and then they sit down for a reading or take my card and call me later. I’m a “gateway” astrologer, I guess, luring unsuspecting souls through the door to a whole new paradigm!  I don’t know that I’ll ever be an “astrologer’s astrologer” and I think I’m ok with that.  I enjoy working the perimeter, educating the oblivious, engaging the un-initiated, and cultivating the client base for all astrologers (I hope).

The rewards of my study…a deeper and more integrated understanding of life on this planet and my role in it?  A heightened sense of wonder? Greater compassion for my fellow beings?  A “stellar” sense of humor when meeting life’s challenges or reading the newspaper?  I’ve seen some of these rewards already, and some I’m working to manifest.

What inspired this topic for you, @nick-civitello? How would you respond to it?

• September 14, 2015 at 2:54 pm

@alia-wesala, I can’t take credit! I heard a story an established astrologer (who has a very forthright personality) asking this question upon meeting a newcomer to the field. It struck me as a very jarring, yet important question, as it seems like not something often considered by those getting serious about astrology. I know I had the attitude of, “Oh, I guess I’m an astrologer now! Better advertise my services because you aren’t really an astrologer unless you are consulting.” It wasn’t until my first con (NCGR ’13) that I understood that this wasn’t necessarily so, that there were astrologers of many various stripes.

For myself, I think that my answers would be along the same lines. My proudest accomplishments with astrology have involved organizational/administrative work with AYA and NCGR, and I didn’t have any sort of a practice beforehand (I made some attempts to get a consulting practice and even tried to teach beginner classes once in Orlando, but nothing ever stuck.) But in future, now that I feel like I’m a bit more of a part of the community, I am thinking about different fields I can expand into. The thought of a consulting practice still enters my mind often, at least as a part-time thing. I’m also really interested in learning and writing more about various fields, like mundane. So it seems like for now, I’d like to have a little corner of internets to feature my astrological writing, whatever form they take.

As for rewards, I feel like astrology gets me a closer feel on the world’s natural rhythms, helps to make sense of situations both bad and good, and helps me to understand other fields of study through astrology’s structural and inherent philosophical elements. Ideally, I would also like to figure out how to use astrology to make enough money to support myself. I have an idea or two on that front, but nothing that’s close to fruition.

• October 14, 2015 at 2:09 pm

The rewards seem countless to me. Astrology is an evolutionary bottomless pit that doesn’t seem to end, and we as a human species seem to be aware of just the tip of the iceberg (if that) when it comes to the hidden divinity and perfection of things. That, in itself, has been the most rewarding thing to me: The fact that I can say it with concrete validity ‘There is a hidden divinity and perfection of things’ of which we aware of only the tip of the iceberg. The universe is so perfectly in order it seems like it’s a crime to have to even point it out… And yet what do we observe in this world? How fascinating is the contrast between the trivial bullshit we go through on a daily basis and the fact that even those things are reflected in the stars? The real rewards of astrology isn’t in knowing what is going to happen, past or future lives, it is in tangibly seeing the connection between everything and witnessing our nature reflected in the nature of all. Astrology can be a spiritual practice that like any will change our consciousness and reconnect us with Nature.

As far as what I hope to contribute… Funnily, I’d just love to be really progressive and edgy and let the cat out of the bag in a sense because the world desperately needs real astrology and I’m pretty sure we’re safe from being strung up and burnt at the stake this time around 😛

• February 8, 2016 at 11:22 am

Agreed, @Timothy-Halloran! Thta’s a great way to describe that!

This time around they are not gonna set you on fire for the knowledge of the stars… unless you are practicing astrology somewhere in the middle of Russia, hehe

Seriously, the knowledge of the planet cycles and their influences definitelt bring the awareness into live, knowing why things might happen in a particular way as well as what might be expected.

What is also interesting is that, for example, here, in Boston there are only a few astrologers that do workshops or hold so to say classes when I could tellfor sure the demand of an teacher-astrologer that has an ability and knowledge to teach is humangous.

That would be so cool to be that person to bring that knowledge, the astrology provides, into communities life by teaching new people even basics of it that even on that lever brings possible balance and awareness.

I could also relate to @nick-civitello<span style=”color: #2c2c2c; font-family: ‘Open Sans’, Tahoma, Verdana, sans-serif;”><span style=”font-size: 14px; line-height: 22.4px; background-color: #f0f0f0;”> when you say you have (or have had) ideas on how to incorporate that knowledge into work so it can be really beneficial for the community as well as your own wallet. But it really takes crativity and hard work and dedication to succeed with that.</span></span>

<span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>To mention, my interest would be to reasearch the inventive influence of Uraus in moderm day technology (on specific companies, like Google or Android). But that’s another topic.</span>

<span style=”line-height: 1.5;”>On a personal lever astrology, cooperatiing with spirituality bring real balance into my life as well as keeps me going as my discovered real passion, as most of you would probably relate. </span>

• February 25, 2016 at 8:59 pm

A little “reward” of sorts:

Yesterday my former roommate and one of my best friends (who is not an astrologer…yet) texted me to inform me that she had just destroyed other teams in a round of trivia in which they were asked to name the signs based on their glyphs.  I’m glad something seems to have stuck with her after inundating her with astrological information for the better part of a decade. 🙂

A silly little thing, yes, but it is nice to be reminded that I have helped slightly increase the astrological literacy of my community.

HIGH FIVE TO ADRIENNE!